Thousands of Brexit-related websites taken offline after deadline expires

Tens of thousands of Brexit-related websites – including the infamous Leave.eu site – have been taken offline by the EU’s domain name agency.

UK-based .eu website owners have been warned that they have to prove their eligibility for a European domain name after the Brexit process or else they will be officially ‘revoked’ this week.

The EURid agency said around 48,000 domain names had been revoked and would now be available for registration on a “first come, first served” basis, according to the report. Independent.

“As previously reported, all Brexit-related domain names, which moved to ‘withdrawn’ status on July 1, 2021, will be revoked and published on January 3, 2022,” a spokesperson said.

EURid added: “Approximately 48,000 domain names will become available for general registration on a first come, first served basis. “

The Leave.EU group – founded by businessman Arron Banks – had moved the registration of its website from the UK to the Republic of Ireland in late 2020 in an attempt to circumvent a rule stating that addresses. eu can only be used by individuals and organizations based in the EU.

But an investigation by EURid led to the domain name being assigned “withdrawn” status, with the EU agency citing the lack of response to requests for data verification.

The website has now been revoked – visitors to the web page being greeted with the error message: “This site cannot be reached. “

Neale Richmond, a member of the Irish parliament, wrote to the communications regulator of the Republic of Ireland last year complaining about the attempted registration in Waterford.

“It is utterly ridiculous to think that Leave.EU could set up an address in Waterford to keep their domain name – they wanted to leave the EU, they did, that means they are also leaving their domain “, did he declare.

Related: PMQ – The One Where The PM’s Lies Were Exposed Before They Even Ended