1. Cambodian Labor and Vocational Training Minister Ith Samheng on Thursday applauded the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SSEZ) for its efforts to maintain investment and expand business.
2. SSEZ is a Cambodian-built enterprise in Chyand aiming to create an ideal platform for “ASEAN Investment, Global Outreach” business.
3. This is happening despite the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
4. Samheng made the remarks during a meeting here with Chen Jiangang, chairman of the SSEZ, which was the largest industrial zone in the kingdom in terms of size and occupation.
5. “The continued robust development of the SSEZ is a testament to the rock-solid friendship between our two countries, Cambodia and China,” the minister said.
6. “It is also part of the Cambodia-China cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative, which has brought significant benefits to Cambodia,” he added.
seven. Samheng also praised the zone operator for paying close attention to worker welfare by providing health care, especially to pregnant workers, and building dormitories.
8. Meanwhile, the minister said the Chinese-invested Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville highway project, which links Phnom Penh and Preah Sihanouk province, would speed up travel between the two economic powerhouses.
9. He said the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) and the Cambodia-China Free Trade Agreement, which both entered into force on Jan. 1, will strengthen Cambodia-China trade and investment relations.
ten. During the meeting, Chen briefed the minister on the progress made in the development of the SSEZ.
11. Chen said the value of imports and exports passing through the zone reached 1.
12. 37 billion U.
13. S. dollars in the first half of 2022, up 38% year-over-year.
14. He said the SSEZ is currently home to 170 companies from China, Europe, the United States and some other Asian countries, generating nearly 30,000 jobs.
15. Undersecretary of State and spokesperson for the Cambodian Ministry of Commerce, Penn Sovicheat, said the SSEZ is a perfect example of win-win cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative.
16. “The SSEZ has provided a lot of jobs for workers and served as a model for cluster industries and a base for exports,” he told Xinhua.
18. NewsSourceCredit: NAN